It is a field of study which deals with the principles of business, management and economics. This course is an amalgamation of academic knowledge of business and its related courses like marketing, economics, accounting, finance and practical work experience of the field. It is a combination of all aspects like marketing, financial, economic and human resource related features of the economy. The duration of the course is 3 years.
Unlike any course Business studies also give opportunities to candidate to do specialization in below mentioned field in the last year of their studies but if the student do not want to do specialization then also it is okay but specialization gives a clear path to student after completing the course that in which field he/she wants to go.
- Event management: It is the process of planning the event and making it successful. Event management could be on a small scale or on a large scale. It should be done in an event management cycle like detect an event, know the purpose of it, make the plan and implement it.
- Human resources: They are the professional personnel to hire the workforce in organization or in firm. They have to mainly take care of recruiting people and give training to them.
- Financial market: It consists of a place or system that provides buyers and sellers the platform to trade financial instruments including bonds, equities, different international currencies, and many more things. Financial markets facilitate the interaction between those who need capital with those who have capital to invest.
- Marketing: It is a process for creating, communicating, delivering and along with that exchanging value or product with customer, client and partners.
- Insurance and risk management: Insurance and Risk Management is the evaluation and analysis of the likelihood and financial effect of activities that may happen in the customer’s world which need settlement by the insurer; and the capability to spread the risk of these activities across other insurance underwriter’s in the market.
WHY TO STUDY BUSINESS STUDIES
Reasons to study business studies are mentioned below:
- It is one of the highly valued and appreciated curriculum as it contains all areas of study to make professional for real life
- By doing this course you can learn soft skills, banking sector related knowledge, insurance training, computer proficiency
- The course is highly demanded and provides good salary package
- It could open the more doors for further education like MBA and MCOM
WHO CAN DO BUSINESS STUDIES AND WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Those who have completed higher secondary education (12th) and want to go into business or have willingness to open their own business can go in this field.
You must have completed higher secondary education with at least 50% score and some universities require a 60% score from a recognized board of education.
There is no specification for the Business studies as candidates from commerce or science background are eligible to opt for this course.
ENTRANCE EXAM FOR BUSINESS STUDIES
Entrance exams are conducted to check the knowledge of students with direct or indirect relation with the course. In some colleges or in universities the admission is direct or on the basis of entrance exam or merit list. You have to check the institute’s website if you want to go for a particular college. Some of the entrance exams are mentioned below:
- IPU CET: It stands for Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test. It is a computer based exam and the duration is 150 minutes. Total questions are 100, each question of 4 marks so a total of 400 marks.
- IPMAT: Integrated Program in Management Aptitude Test. It is accepted by 10+ universities including 5 IIMs. The duration of the exam is 120 minutes and 40 questions with 160 marks.
- DU JAT: Delhi University Joint Admission Test. It is a national level exam conducted by Delhi University. The exam duration is 2 hours and total marks are 400.
- BHU UET: Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test. It is conducted by NTA. The exam duration is 150 minutes and total marks for the examination is 450.
- UGAT: Under Graduate Aptitude Test. The duration of the exam is 2 hours and there are a total of 130 questions available. It is a computer based exam.
ENTRANCE EXAM FEES
Entrance exam fees for above mentioned exams are mentioned below:
|EXAMS||GENERAL OR OBC||SC / ST/ PWD|
|IPU CET||INR 1200||INR 1200|
|IPMAT||INR 4130||INR 2065|
|DU JAT||INR 650||INR 550|
|BHU UET||INR 600||INR 200|
|UGAT||INR 1800||INR 750|
The procedure for the admission is
- You have to choose in which college you want to get admission into and if that college require entrance exam then you should apply for entrance exams
- Pay the fees for the entrance exam and download the admit card to appear in it.
- After examination when result comes, download it
- Start applying for colleges with the score of entrance exam
FEES TO GET ADMISSION INTO BUSINESS STUDIES
The fees to get admission into business studies may vary from college to college, whether it is private or government. Generally the fees for colleges are between 40,000 to 1,00,000 per year. As it is one of the demanding courses, the fees in private colleges are higher than government colleges.
TOP COLLEGES IN INDIA FOR BUSINESS STUDIES
There are lot of college are available for business studies which are mentioned below:
- Delhi University
- Shaheed sukhdev college of business studies, Delhi
- Chandigarh University
- Lovely Professional University
- Keshav Mahavidyalaya, Delhi
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi
- Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu
- Daly College Business School, Madhya Pradesh
- Meerut College of Advance Technology (MCAT), Uttar Pradesh
Related subjects are important to know as they give the basic idea of all the topics and modules. Plus point of related subjects is you can opt the career on any of the below mentioned subjects.
- IT for Business
- Micro economics
- Macro economics
- Cost accounting
- Financial management
- Human Resource management
- Quantitative techniques of management
- Business research and many more
- Organizational behavior
- Business analytics
- Business communication
- Business statistics
- Computer fundamentals
- Financial accounting
- Business law
Above mentioned subjects may vary from college to college as private universities or institutes do not follow the same curriculum.
Many subjects are important like Human resource, Business analytics, Financial accounting and many more because it gives a lot of opportunities to candidates after completion of course.
SCOPE OF BUSINESS STUDIES
Scope for business studies is in 2 sectors:
- Higher studies: You can go for higher studies courses like MBA, MCOM, MBS from well known institutes.
- Job: You can go for corporate sector for different job positions which are given below:
- Business analyst
- Junior accountant
- Finance manager
- Business development manager
- Research analyst
- Business consultant
- Human Resource (HR)
- Assistant manager
POTENTIAL OF THE BUSINESS STUDIES
This course is more practical than other courses because this course consists of practical knowledge and information regarding the subjects which are going to be important from a career perspective.
The course is highly demanded and provides good salary as an employee in any company and there is no limit of money in business.
Plus the course gives you the opportunity for further education in the related field.
SALARY AFTER DOING BUSINESS STUDIES
Salary after doing Business studies is good because the demand of the course is higher. There are less business studies graduates than requirements. Generally students who want to go into business or have their family business go for this course because for them this course is crucial. On the other hand, a lot of students go into corporate for different job positions like Business analyst or Human resource. If you’re working in a corporation or in a company, a fresher gets basic pay between INR 3 lakhs to INR 6 lakhs.
For graduates who are going to join the business or want to open up the startup then for them there is no limit for the salary package.
Average salary of freshers starts from 20k to 40k per month according to the company and position you are into.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS YOU WILL GET FROM BUSINESS STUDIES
The bundle of skills which you’ll get from the course is mentioned below:
- Entrepreneurship: This is a very important skill in today’s generation. Lot of people spend money to get this skill. This skill gives you the idea how to start it and how to tackle it from beginning to end. It gives you the idea of how to get clients and how to work with them with deadlines.
- Confidence: It is also an important skill. Whether you are in corporate or into business, it will help you a lot in how to look confident and how to talk confidently.
- Communication: It is important for general purpose. Professional communication is very much needed in both business and corporate.
The time duration of the course is 3 years and each year contains 2 semesters. Total of 6 semesters.
Yes definitely you can get admission in college for this course. You just have to check the college’s website before making this decision because if college requires you to give an entrance exam then you must give it.
Yes you can do it in the last year of bachelors and you can opt for further education as well.